We recommend that those needing a new Chinese visa apply for the L visitor visa in order to participate in the Global Education Workshop in Shanghai, China. For US citizens a multiple entry and multi-year validity L visa is now normally issued. This is more useful than applying for other types of visitor visas, which tend to be single use. To obtain your L visa, please take the following steps:
Step 1. Check your passport to ensure that it:
- has TWO adjacent blank pages blank – for visa entry stamp
- is valid for at least SIX months from the October entry date
If your passport doesn’t meet this criteria, please contact the US State Department to renew right away.
Step 2. Once Hayle has provided your hotel confirmation, complete the visa form and apply using a courier service.
There are many options for courier services but here are a few:
- Swift Passport Services
- Oasis International Travel Corporation
- Washington Passport Services
- A Briggs
- It’s Easy
- Original signed passport with at least six months of remaining validity and 2 blank visa pages
- One passport sized photo (2”x2”) on glossy paper. You can get passport photos done at most CVS stores. Your photo must meet the requirements and will be affixed to the upper right corner of the application using a paper clip.
- Printed Visa Application Form (Form V.2013). CAPA recommends that you wait to complete the visa application form until you view the instructions from the courier service you have selected. The courier will be able to advise on details such as the requirement of a typed form, etc.
- Photocopy of your passport information page. This is the page with your photo and name listed.
- Round trip flight itinerary for your journey to China
- Lodging/Accommodation reservation/Confirmation of stay (CAPA will provide confirmation of your hotel reservation).
- Proof of legal stay or residence status (only applicable to non-U.S. citizens)
- Photocopy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas
- Any additional documents as required by your courier service.
Step 3. Once you have received your visa, please send Hayle a scanned copy of the visa in your passport.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 857 207-3324.
You should change a little money into RMB before you leave the US so you have some cash on hand. You may also wish to inform your bank that you will be traveling to China, so your ATM cards will work abroad.
Taxi to Hotel
Take a metered, licensed taxi from the taxi stand at the Shanghai (PVG) airport.
Please do not accept any offers of taxis from people in the airport terminal; these are illegal and overpriced.
The cost of the taxi from the airport (PVG) to the hotel should be around 200 RMB ($30 USD). The following is the address of the hotel in Shanghai. Show this section to your taxi driver:
CAPA has arranged accommodation at JW Marriott Changfeng located in the Shanghai Putuo District about 15 minutes by foot from the gate of ECNU. Rooms are single occupancy and include breakfast.
The 32-story hotel faces the picturesque Changfeng Park and overlooks Suzhou River. Adjacent to Shanghai Convention Center of International Sourcing and Changfeng Parkside Plaza (shopping, cafes, restaurants), it is a 50-minute drive from Pudong International Airport. Its 501 spacious guest rooms are designed to accommodate both leisure and business visitors, featuring plush new bedding, bathrobes, flat screen television, ergonomic chairs, high speed internet and a well-lit full-sized desk. The hotel also offers seven restaurants and bars featuring international cuisine and local favorites.
Hotel Address: 158 Daduhe Road, Putuo District, Shanghai
Hotel Tel: +86-21-22156666
*You do not need to dial +86 if in China.
October in Shanghai brings pleasant, clear, and often sunny weather. Temperatures may range from high 50s in the mornings and evenings to low 70s at peak day. There may be an occasional shower. We recommend both casual wear for exploring the city and business casual dress when meeting with executives and visiting internship sites.